An Island Full of History and Charm
Roanoke Island, and its town of Manteo, was home to the first English settlers that arrived in North America. Historically recognized as the birthplace of the first English child and the mystery of the Lost Colony, the island offers exciting sights for everyone to enjoy.
The most recognized area of Roanoke Island is the Town of Manteo. Properties here range drastically in age of construction from historic colonial homes to new thoughtfully designed subdivisions. Not only does Roanoke Island offer larger lot sizes, but also the largest full-time community on the Outer Banks.
Manteo offers a delightful waterfront area with galleries, antiques, restaurants, boutiques, souvenir stores, ice cream shops, and more. Stroll along the waterfront boardwalk, relax over lunch at an outdoor cafe, smell the bright blooms hanging from window boxes, and wave to passing boaters.
While exploring the waterfront of downtown Manteo, the walking bridge leads visitors into Roanoke Island Festival Park. This 25-acre history-filled island park allows you to explore a replica of one of the first English ships, meet English interpreters and tour the museum and during the spring and summer months, live music is offered at this venue and makes for perfect summer afternoons. First Fridays is also held in downtown Manteo, where music, art, and face painting makes for great afternoons the whole family can enjoy.
This town’s charm is sure to please everyone in the group; from history buffs and foodies, to shopping and water sports enthusiasts.
Located on the north end of Roanoke Island, the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site preserves known portions of England’s first New World Settlements and the gorgeous Elizabethan Gardens were built in honor of Queen Elizabeth during her reign. Both areas are located on the same grounds and admission costs are very low to visit both.
America’s longest running outdoor drama, The Lost Colony, is located at Manteo’s Waterside Theater also on Roanoke Island. The performance retells the story of the first English settlers to land in the New World and is sure to delight kids and adults of all ages with its captivating presentation.
Also on Roanoke Island is the NC Aquarium. From live animal encounters and ecological displays, to the largest shark collection in the state, this will amuse all members of your group and is a great way to start your day on Roanoke Island.
While offering great historical sites, Roanoke Island also offers vast recreational activities. Charter a fishing boat for a half or full day out of Pirate’s Cove or Thicket Lump; as both marinas cater to novice to experienced anglers. The island also offers scuba diving and spear-fishing equipment, kayak and bike rentals, dolphin tours, and the original movie theater on the Outer Banks.
Manteo Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Manteo
- 202D Dartmoor Ave. Unit 1434 Manteo, NC 27954
- 424 Pirates Way Unit 424 Manteo, NC 27954
- 759 Sir Walter Raleigh Street Manteo, NC 27954
- 1001 S South Bay Club Drive Unit 1001 Manteo, NC 27954
- 123 Pirates Way Unit # 123A Manteo, NC 27954
- 5201 Sailfish Drive Unit 5201 Manteo, NC 27954
- 204 Devon Street Lot None Manteo, NC 27954
- 238 Mother Vineyard Road Lot # Manteo, NC 27954
Sold Listings in Manteo
- 206 Brakewood Road Lot 16 Manteo, NC 27954
- 503 Cypress Lane Unit G Manteo, NC 27954
- 312B Pirates Way Unit 312B Manteo, NC 27954
- 302 Sextant Court Unit 302 Manteo, NC 27954
- 1232 Ballast Point Drive Unit 1232 Manteo, NC 27954
- 707 Francis Drake Street Lot 12 Manteo, NC 27954
- 125 Roanoke Trail Lot#4 Manteo, NC 27954-9598
- 502 Dora Drive Lot# 28-R Manteo, NC 27954
Posted on September 3, 2015 at 8:45 pm by Michael Davenport